CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

signs that i am getting too lackadaisical as a parent

on saturday, i left ruthie playing unattended upstairs while trying to get some cleaning done downstairs. (sign #1) when i left, she was playing contentedly (which is a rare thing for her), so i decided not to risk messing things up by moving her. about 20 minutes later, i heard some water splashing and ran upstairs to find ruthie playing gleefuly in the toilet water. rather than throwing her in the bath and worrying endlessly about the diseases she may have contracted, i simply took off her jacket, washed her hands, and thought to myself, "well, at least the toilet was clean." (sign #2) matthew had just scrubbed it earlier in the day.

on sunday, i woke up with the kids and was making a pancake breakfast while asher was playing in the other room. when it got too quiet, i called out "asher, what are you doing??" he responded "i picking my nose, mom!" i thought to myself, "oh, good. at least he's not getting into trouble." (sign #3)

what can i say? such is life with two toddlers! (yes, ruthie is officially a toddler now. she started taking steps last week.)

3 comments:

Adrianne said...

Heide, I love your honesty. Makes me laugh though because I have lived in this "lackadasical" parenting world for a while. My kids eat things off the floor and off the front porch!! Most importantly your kids are loved and thats whats most important!

marisalea said...

I second this! I like to say I am the parent of one child with the mentality of a parent of a third child. When you said that you left Ruthie upstairs I thought this was going to be a story about Ruthie falling down the stairs (which Annabelle did a couple months ago while my dad and Nathan were renovating the house). Have I told you about how she eats ladybugs? It's super gross! She also likes to chew Stonewall's chew toys. This makes me worried but Nathan thinks it's fine if she's happy.

secwalker said...

If these are your examples of neglectful parenting - I'm glad you're not working in child welfare or I'd be in trouble :) So, did I tell you the one about hearing the front door close when Avery was 2 and looking over to see her coming BACK IN from being outside! All wet from the rain, I might add :)